Friday, March 13, 2009

Snow Day(s)

Gwennie and her Grandma Betty reading a story. The book did not meet Grandma's standards, but Gwen thought snuggling with her was great.

Well, as usual, it's taken me so long to get this post up that I have a whole other family snow day to blog about. But I'll start with this one...







We took a trip to Sacramento towards the end of February. We stopped on the way to see Cutts and Theresa and Gavin, since we hadn't seen them since Gavin's first birthday last May. He was much bigger than Gwen then, but Gwen is much taller than him now. That's still kinda funny to me - I'm still used to thinking of her as little, but she's just not. She's a tall girl. We had a great time and great pizza and the kids were both up too late because none of their parents wanted to stop talking.

Then we went off to Grandma's house. Gwen was asleep when we got there, but she woke up a little when we came in. She raised her head to look at Grandma, dropped it back down, then reached over to hug Grandma. Then she woke herself all the way up, and ran to hug Grandma's leg. She's got a real love affair going with her great-grandma, and it warms my heart to see it. She played with her all weekend long, and as soon as I figure out how to post a video, I'll show you the dance they did together. And the chase game with her Papa, too.

The next Grandma Jill came over and we bundled up and went to the snow! We drove up towards Truckee, and stopped off near a hill next to the parking lot of a gas station and a snow park. It was great - all the daredevil older kids were out on the snow park itself, which left the very tame tobaggon hill free for families and littler kids. Grandma Jill bought Gwen a sled (a pretty purple one, mind you, although the snowpark guy laughed at her when she asked for pink.) But we didn't really use it - just built a tiny little snow person and threw a few snowballs and generally explored what snow actually is. I don't honestly remember the last time I was in any real snow, so I kind of had to re-educate myself. Hint- snow is not firm footing, and it will collapse underneath your foot, leaving you thigh high in cold wet stuff. Fun!

Lots of fun, actually- look at this girl, rocking her winter gear:


Building the little 'nowman with Daddy:










It was hard work. Massachusetts Boy was not happy with the snow quality.







He's little, but he's cute! Gwennie loved him.


Playing with Grandma Jill


Riding the sled with Mama - wheeee! (If you thought the snowman was small, you should have seen the slope we were on.)

Jim and I were having fun, too -no, really, Jim was having fun. He was just concentrating on aiming the camera.


We tried to get a family portrait before we left, but Gwen was cold and grumpy, and completely uninterested.

Snow Day part 2 is coming soon, but I took zero pictures that day, so Grandma Jill and Auntie Kathleen will have to help me out...

No comments: