Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Autumn Catchup

...or, All the Cool Things We Did Whilst* Computer Challenged

We have been very seasonal this year, even as the weather has stayed very hot. (Ok, not today, and maybe not overall, but I am pregnant and a heat factory, and I want some days in the 60s, dangitall.) It's funny - summer's always been my favorite time of year, with the sun and fun and all the fruit, but as I get older, autumn's coming on a strong second.


In late September, it was a gazillion degrees out, and we went to a farm in Boulder Creek. Hey, Gwen! The bunnies are inside the cage!









We fed the goats (that's Adessa, because I got a decent picture of her) and picked Indian corn. That was Gwen's favorite part, I think, although she didn't understand why she couldn't eat it. Still tries to, some days.








Then we took a tractor ride to the pumpkin patch, which was Mama's favorite part, especially when we were sitting in the shade. You could either take an ear of corn or a pumpkin home, and a friend had given us some pumpkins already. So we just took a wander through the patch.






That weekend, we picked apples, again in the broiling sun. I had visions of getting all Laura Ingallsy and making applesauce (well, actually, both Mom and Papa made applesauce on a regular basis, so I didn't have to go back quite that far.) But the apple sauce apples were waaaay down a hill and did I mention the heat? So we stuck to the Red and Golden Delicious apples, which are not my favorites.



But man, Gwen loved picking them. I love this picture, scraggly hair and all.






Jim swears he's going to create a montage of all the shots of Gwen running away to show at her wedding.











Then we went over to the farm part, where Gwen played in the hay and we ate apple pie. On the way back, we stopped at the beach, and Gwen went into the water (willingly) for the first time. We had a blast and I almost lost a shoe and we all got splashed up to our knees. Gwen hasn't stopped asking to go back to the beach since.

I have a whole pumpkin post - the trip to the patch, and the carving - but that's for another day.
*I love that word.

No comments: